The Innovate Washington Foundation (IWF) is a nonprofit economic development organization committed to increasing the economic impact of innovation and technology throughout the state of Washington, in all industries and economic sectors.
IWF focuses on designing and implementing programs that directly impact Washington and Pacific Northwest companies, research institutions and entrepreneurs through our mission of making Washington the best place to develop innovative ideas and launch innovative companies.
The Director, Accelerator Services supports the IWF mission by leading the system of services and programs focused on start-up and high growth technology company acceleration, product commercialization and entrepreneur support. In support of these areas, the Director will design and execute strategies that ensure statewide access to IWF Accelerator Services, including business consultants, executive entrepreneurs, grant programs, targeted loan funds and access to investment capital. The Director will manage ongoing evaluation of current services, and identify new services that could be developed to maximize IWFs impact on Washington’s innovation economy. This position is accountable for measuring and reporting the results of the Accelerator Services Group (ASG) in terms of balanced return on investment.
It is expected that the Director will have deep experience with leading self-managed and consultative teams in the technology sector. The incumbent will have private sector experience including providing assistance in product development, market assessment, segmentation and planning, business and strategic planning, financial modeling, capitalization, sales management and organizational development. In addition, Accelerator Services projects will include technology and intellectual property assessment, assistance in preparing client companies for public, private or institutional financing including government grants and introductory access to equity funding sources and loan funds. Experience in energy, clean technology, aerospace, or health science sectors is a plus.
This position serves on the IWF management team and provides the leadership and entrepreneurial experience needed to help meet IWF’s mission and vision.
This position reports to the Vice President of Economic Development.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• A minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience managing complex projects within, or as a consultant to, technology-based businesses.
• At least five (3) years of experience in a start-up or high growth enterprise.
• At least five (5) years of supervisory leadership experience.
Required Skills / Experience:
• Demonstrated experience with developing and implementing business, strategic, financial, marketing and communications plans.
• Strong computer literacy, including: competency with Microsoft Office applications in a Windows environment; competency with the Internet as a business tool; prior experience with customer relationship management systems and software.
• Demonstrated ability to work in an environment where confidentiality is required.
• Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrated excellent public speaking ability.
• Experience with technology assessment, market and business development, contract negotiation processes and techniques, and commercialization processes.
• Entrepreneurial experience is highly desirable, specifically that related to building successful technology based businesses intent upon bringing new products to the market place. Lessons learned from unsuccessful entrepreneurial endeavors are also a plus.
• Demonstrated ability to energetically and effectively execute a volume of varying tasks under deadlines.
• Demonstrated knowledge of the patent process, including experience working with legal experts for patenting and licensing of technology, and the practices surrounding the protection of all forms of intellectual property.
• Experience with at least two stages of technology company equity financing; experience with debt financing.
• Experience as a participant in the development of successful grant proposals to include subsequent grant execution, performance, and reporting.
• Significant leadership and management experience including supervision of individuals and teams in dynamic organizational environments. Experience managing and coaching high performing teams; experience with Agile is very desirable.
• Expertise in the development and maintenance of effective multi-organization partnerships.
• Outstanding customer service attitude, commitment, personality and approach.
• Keen ability to both hold “the big picture” and simultaneously ensure the execution of the many details involved in a high-growth company environment.
Innovate Washington Foundation
Accelerator Services Vacancy Announcement
Attention: Diane Wick
PO Box 1495
Spokane, WA 99210-1495
The Innovate Washington Foundation is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer with a policy of equal opportunity regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, or status as a disabled veteran or Vietnam.